[B-Greek] OUDEIS in Revelation 15:8

Edgar Foster edgarfoster2003 at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 23 13:08:38 EDT 2008

Dear B-Greekers,

Thanks for your help on Romans 8:16. I now have a relatively simple question concerning Revelation 15:8:

KAI EGEMISQH hO NAOS KAPNOU EX THS DOXHS TOU QEOU KAI EK THS DUNAMEWS AUTOU, KAI OUDEIS EDUNATO EISELQEIN EIS TON NAON AXRI TELESQWSIN hAI hEPTA PLHGAI TWN hEPTA AGGELWN.

Do you think that OUDEIS which is functioning substantively in this text is being used in an absolute sense? That appears to be how this term is employed in Matthew 6:24; 9:16; John 1:18.

Wesley's Notes to the Bible indicate that Revelation 15:8 suggests that heavenly beings normally attendant upon the throne of God in hO NAOS were unable to enter while the seven bowls were being poured out as plagues. I guess that I would like to know about the possible referential scope of OUDEIS in this passage.

Thanks,

Edgar Foster