Re: File: "DATABASE OUTPUT"

From: David Moore (dvdmoore@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Mon Aug 07 1995 - 16:34:44 EDT

To: B-Greek list members

    Following is a summary on the subject of e-mail citation that was
posted to the Linguist List. I hope that it may be of interest.

Regards,

    David L. Moore Department of Education
    Miami, FL, USA Southeastern Spanish District
Dvdmoore@ix.netcom.com of the Assemblies of God

Summary follows:
>1)
>Date: Thu, 03 Aug 1995 22:14:40 CDT
>From: hmanders@indiana.edu (heather marie anderson)
>Subject: e-mail citation summary

Xai Li
>and Nancy B. Crane's book Electronic Style was recommended by several
>people. The publisher (?) Allyn & Bacon is also making a style guide
>available.
> Three electronic guides were also recommended; the FAQ file of
the
>group "alt.usage.english" available from "misreal@scripps.edu", a file
on
>the TESL-L mailing list and a previous posting to Linguist list Vol
6-210
>Mon 13 Feb 1995.I have a copy of this last source which I am willing
>forward to anyone interested (note this message also explains how to
get
>the TESL list).
> Besides giving me references, many of those responding
cautioned
>me to get the permission of my sources before citing them. There are
at
>least two reasons for this; first many people respond to queries off
the
>top of their heads without double checking their facts and second
while
>willing to respond to one query many people may not want to set
>themselves as a source to be consulted by anyone doing research on the
>subject in question. In most situations, I have come to the
conclusion
>that personal e-mail should be cited as personal communications, which
is
>enough to indicate that the information is not original to the author
>without making any promises that the source will act as a reference.
(co-