Re: J 10:10, PERISSON EXWSIN

From: David Moore (dvdmoore@dcfreenet.seflin.lib.fl.us)
Date: Thu Aug 17 1995 - 17:47:49 EDT

On Thu, 17 Aug 1995 KevLAnder@aol.com wrote:

> I [...] did some lexicon checking. It so happens that
> Thayer classifies PERISSON in J 10:10 as Moore would, translating PERISSON
> ECHEIN as "to have abundance." Thayer also cites a cognate usage of the
> adjective in antiquity: HOI MEN . . . PERISSA EXHOUSIN, HOI DE OUDE TA
> ANAGKAI DUNANTAI PORIZESTHAI ("On the one hand, those who have abundance, but
> on the other hand, those who do not have the wherewithal to get along" [my
> rough translation]), Xen. oec. 20,1. (Note that in this example PERISSA is
> anarthrous.) I thought David would also be interested in Alfred Plummer's
> comments on this verse.
>
> _have it more abundantly_] Omit 'more;' it is not in the Greek, and
> somewhat
> spoils the sense. More abundantly than what? Translate, _that they_ may
> have abundance.
>
> Marcus Dods in the _Expositor's Greek Testament_ also has some enlightening
> commentary:
>
> With quite other intent has Christ come: EGO HLTHON . . . ECHOSIN, that
> instead of being killed and perishing the sheep "may have life and may
> have
> abundance." This may mean abundance of life, but more probably abundance
> of all that sustains life. PERITTON ECHEIN in Xen., _Anab._, vii. 6,31,
> means
> "to have a surplus". "The repetition of ECHOSIN gives the second point a
> more
> independent position than it would have had if KAI alone had been used.
> . . ."
> Meyer.
>
> I discovered that some translations, such as the NASB, list in the margin
> "have abundance" as an alternate translation.
>
> David's discussion of the variant readings was most interesting and I think
> they warrant further investigation.

        KevLAnder@aol.com has brought out some points on this matter that
supplement the comments I posted. It appears that if my library were
more ample, it would have been clear that others have taken PERISSON in
Jhn. 10:10 as absolute. His exegesis of the passage also develops well
the themes of contrast between Christ and the false shepherds and that of
Christ's provision for His sheep through sacrifice of Himself.

David L. Moore Southeastern Spanish District
Miami, Florida of the Assemblies of God
dvdmoore@dcfreenet.seflin.lib.fl.us Department of Education