(no subject)

From: David Moore (dvdmoore@dcfreenet.seflin.lib.fl.us)
Date: Sat Aug 19 1995 - 11:43:02 EDT

On Sat, 19 Aug 1995, Rod Decker wrote:

> >Rod Decker <rdecker@accunet.com> wrote:
> >Re: Heb. 6:6
> >
> >>In v. 4,
> >>'hapax phwtisthentas' is an alternative way of saying 'regenerated'
> >>('phwtizw' is almost a tech. term for regeneration in the NT). I.e., once a
> David Moore replied
> >
> > It doesn't look as though the data on FWTIZW supports your
> >assertion for a t.t., Rod. But no matter how one understands FWTISQENTAS
>
> There was a good paper presented at midwest ETS a few years ago by Steve
> Spencer on this subject. If anyone is interested, I can dig up the
> reference. (Steve teaches at Dallas, though he was at Grand Rapids when he
> wrote the paper.)

        The data, Rod, the data... Did Spencer come to the conclusion
you mention? I really don't see how the data could be construed that
way. Moulton and Geden list eleven instances of FWTIZW in the NT. Since
they are few, I'll list them.

Lu. 11:36 hWS hOTAN hO LUXNOS THi ASTRAPHi FWTIZHi SE
Jn. 1:9 TO FWS TO ALHQINON hO QOTIZEI PANTA ANQRWPON
1Cor. 4:5 hOS KAI FWTISEI TA KRUPTA TOUS SKOTOUS
Eph. 1:18 PEFWTISMENOUS TOUS OFQALMOUS THS KARDIAS hUMWN
     3:9 FWTISAI TIS hH OIKONOMIA TOU MUSTHRIOU
2Tim. 1:10 FWTISANTOS DE ZWHN KAI AFQARSIAN DIA TOU EUAGGELIOU
Heb. 6:4 ADUNATON GAR TOUS hAPAX FWTISQENTAS
     10:32 EN hAIS FWTISQENTES POLLHN AQLHSIN hUPEMEINATE
Rev. 18:1 hH GH EQWTISQHE EK THS DOXHS AUTOU
     21:23 hH GAR DOCA TOU QEOU EFWTISEN AUTHN
     22:5 hOTI KURIOS hO QEOS FWTISEI EP AUTOUS

        Although Lk. 11:36 might be construed as equating FWTIZW with
regeneration, it is definitely the context that gives it this sense. It
certainly could not be taken as a technical term here. In Jn. 1:9 we also
have a meaning that depends heavily on the context for it's spiritual
meaning. Also, it is questionable whether John is referring to conversion
when he writes of the light that illumines every man.

        I Corinthians 4:5 is speaking of the clarification of true motives
that Christ will bring at His coming. Regeneration is not in the subject
matter of this verse. In Eph. 1:18 FWTIZW is used in the sense of
illumination of the understanding. The reference here is not to
regeneration, either. In Eph. 3:9 the meaning is again in reference to
the illumination of the understanding and not referrring to regeneration
as such. Similar to its use in 1Cor. 4:5; Eph. 1:18 and 3:9; the use of
FWTIZW in 2 Tim. 1:10 is in reference to the clarification of the plan of
God through the coming of Christ.

        Since Heb. 6:4 is the point of interpretation in question, there
is no need to comment on it at this point. In Heb. 10:32, the meaning of
FWTISQENTES does most probably include regeneration, although I would
submit that the complete process of moving from a lost state to a state of
salvation is what is contemplated by the word here.

        The uses of FWTIZW from the Apocalyps (Rev. 18:1; 21:23; 22:5) may
be taken together. In each of these passages, light is being used as a
symbol of God's influence or presence. In no sense could any of the uses
of the word in this book be construed to mean "regeneration."

        If, out of ten uses of FWTIZW (apart from Heb. 6:4), there are
only three that may be possibly construed to mean regeneration, can we say
that "'phwtizw' is almost a tech. term for regeneration in the NT"? IMO,
a better case could be made for understanding FWTIZW as a t.t. for
"illumination," although I don't think that's the case, either.

        Sure, post the bibliographical reference on Steve Spencer's paper.
I'd be interested to see what he does with this data.

Regards,

David L. Moore Southeastern Spanish District
Miami, Florida of the Assemblies of God
dvdmoore@dcfreenet.seflin.lib.fl.us Department of Education