John 20:30-31

From: Ron Skrabanek (70413.3002@compuserve.com)
Date: Mon Aug 21 1995 - 01:42:59 EDT

I am studying the stated purpose for the writing of the Gospel of John and have
a question about the verb tenses involved.

In verse 31, I see two purpose clauses . . .

1. that you may believe (Aorist Subjunctive) and

2. that you may have (Present Subjunctive)

Am I correct that this is a dual purpose statement? I've checked a few
commentaries, but see no reference to such an understanding of the text. This
makes me suspicious of my conclusion.

Secondly, what is the exegetical significance of the switch in tense from aorist
to present? I read in Robertson's grammar that the Present Subjunctive is not
common, but am not sure what to make of it's usage here.

ron