re: Great Greek Books!

From: Edgar M. Krentz (emkrentz@mcs.com)
Date: Wed Aug 23 1995 - 11:50:11 EDT

>2 questions:
>
>What is the status of the English edition of the revision to BAGD, i.e., when
>will it be available, what is the retail and discount mail-order price?
>
>Any opinions about Loew and Nida's Lexicon according to Semantic Domains?
>
>Thanks!

Fred Danker delivered the completed manuscript of the third edition to the
University of Chicago Press in early April. (Can one call something on a
hard disk a manuscript?)

I called Fred Danker about it; he tells me the target date for its
appearance in print is the Society of Biblical Literature meeting in 1996,
i.e. approximatly Thanksgiving of that year.

I no longer have students purchase the 2nd edition because that date is close.

If you want more acurate information, you might drop a note to Prof.
Frederick W. Danker, 3438 Russell Ave., St. Louis, MO 63104. Tel.:
314-772-5757.

As far as the Loew-Nida work is concerned, it is difficult for a beginning
student to use. The more acquaintance one has with ancient Greek literature
beyond the Greek Bible, the more intelligently one can use it. It is *no
substitute* for a traditional, alphabetically arranged lexicon. I would
probably elect to have student use the old Abbott-Smith lexicon (T & T
Ckark) as a first lexicon, and send them to the library to use BAGD, 2nd
ed.

Hope this information helps. Peace,

Edgar Krentz <emkrentz@mcs.com>
New Testament, Lutheran School of Theology at Chicago
Voice: 312-753-0752; FAX: 312-753-0782