Re: Brackets in Greek Text

From: WINBROW@aol.com
Date: Tue Aug 22 1995 - 21:05:15 EDT

Dale Wheeler wrote,
"The introductions to both UBS4 and NA27 are not well-written on this point
of brackets in the text, but, unless I have misunderstood them, the intent of
the brackets is exactly opposite of what you suggest, Carl. UBS4 is a little
clearer than NA27, and it says: "Brackets in the text indicate that the
enclosed word, words, or parts of words may be regarded as part of the text,
but that in the present state of New Testament textual shcolarship this
cannot be taken as completely certain."

I must admit that I did (do) not have a copy of the UBS4 at home where I can
get to it. I was going on memory of the UBS3 which stated simply that the
bracketed part of the text is regarded as disputed. Certainly anyone who has
used UBS texts from the beginning is aware of the problem of the use of
brackets and double brackets. If the above statement of the meaning of
single brackets is correct, they have not clarified the use much. I still
think that the present subjunctive in John 20:20 is more likely the original.
 If the aorist is original, the combination of the aorist and the present
would surely indicate "coming to faith" (ingressive) and possessing life. If
the present indicates "state" then combined with the aorist (or present)
would almost function as perfected action. I would think that either way the
result is the same. Coming to faith issues into possessing life.

Carlton Winbery
Fogleman Prof. NT & Greek
LA College, Pineville, LA
(318) 487-7241 Fax (318) 487-7425 off. or (318) 442-4996 home
Winbrow@aol.com or Winbery@andria.lacollege.edu