Greek & Hebrew Word Processing

From: Dale M. Wheeler (dalemw@teleport.com)
Date: Fri Aug 25 1995 - 12:45:05 EDT

Kenneth Litwak asked:

I wonder if someone can give me information on a relatively low-cost
way to be able to do word processing that includes Greek and Hebrew
script.

I'll try not to make this sound like an advertisement in a discussion forum,
but you did ask. Moreover, "I feel your pain" (Sybock once said); I had to
design my own downloadable CPM Greek and Hebrew fonts to do my
dissertation...argh....

Just having fonts will not solve the problems you mentioned, you need both
fonts and a way to get blocks of texts into your Word Processor. You also
didn't specify whether you are using WP for DOS or Windows. WP for either
has always been a problem since WP6 and following has never followed the
precise font standards for either platform. MicroSoft Word6 or Lotus
AmiPro/WordPro (new name) have always graded higher than WP and work
seemlessly with several different G&H programs (I have all three and use
either Word6 or AmiPro, depending on the task). MicroWarehouse has an
AcademicWarehouse (800-696-1727) with very special academic pricing; I got
Microsoft Professional Office (=Word6, Excel5, Access, Powerpoint, Mail,
etc., full versions with all manuals, support, not an upgrade) for $170.00.
Word6 is listed as $99. Lotus SmartSuite is @$140.00.

An unbiased listing and review of the various fonts and Greek&Hebrew
packages is to be found at
http://www.peinet/pe.co:2080/Chorus/Hahne/M003.html#TOP which is Harry
Hahne's Web page. Make sure you download and read Harry's discussion of the
perils, pitfalls, and benefits of the various packages which have the
languages. In light of the fact that his reviews for the GRAMCORD line of
products for the MAC (which is what many of my collegues use) and Windows
(which is what I use) are listed as "coming," you might want to get the info
directly from the publisher: pmiller@gramcord.org.

In any case, as you will see from the reviews, any of the products will
supply Greek and Hebrew fonts and texts with their programs, as well as
fairly easy ways to either type in G&H or transfer blocks of text directly
into your Word Processor. The fonts by themselves are fairly inexpensive as
well.

Dale M. Wheeler, Th.D.
Chair, Biblical Languages Dept. Multnomah Bible College
8435 NE Glisan Street Portland, OR 97220
Voice:503-251-6416 FAX:503-254-1268 E-Mail:dalemw@teleport.com