Re: translation of "melle"

From: WINBROW@aol.com
Date: Fri Aug 25 1995 - 16:56:31 EDT

Alan Feuerbacher asked concerning my translation,
"what is the sign when all these
things will happen."

"To me, that's a very fuzzy statement. Do you think that the purpose was to
be fuzzy?"

All language is kind of fuzzy I think. But what I see in the statement is
"how can we know when these things are about to happen?"

>In verse 4 of Mark both instances of TAUTA seem to
>refer to the same events, what Jesus has just predicted. Its amazing what
>the writer of Matthew has done with that question!

"Would you care to expand on that?"

I would comment that in Mark the question seems to focus only on what Jesus
has just predicted, but Matthew brings in another subject, POTE TAUTA ESTAI
KAI TI TO SHMEION THS SHS PAROUSIAS KAI SUNTELEIAS TOU AIWNOS; "When shall
these things be and what (is) the sign of your coming and the consumation of
the age?"

You could read the question in Mark as having nothing to do with eschatology
but not Matthew 24:3.
Carlton Winbery