Re: eight case or five?

From: Mike Adams (mikadams@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Wed Aug 30 1995 - 23:43:19 EDT

>I was wondering about the reasons between some choosing an eight case
system
>and others a five case. I know of the top that the eight case is more
>focused on usage and the five case on structure, but what makes one
decide to
>go with one or the other?

I haven't the training or knowledge of most who post in this
group, but I'd like to offer my opinion on this subject.

First, the categorizing of cases into groups is a function of analysis:
how linguists interpret the idiosyncracies of an existant language.
Inflections evolve naturally as an integral part of a language.
Categorizing is an empirical definition of these structures as observed
in use. We use categories as tools to help us discern the meaning of a
word in context. What's "best" is a matter of preference.

I was originally taught the eight-case (excluding vocative) system.
Later, I was introduced to the four-case system. The four-case system,
conforms to inflected forms, provides a broader, fundamental
description of each case. The eight-case system appears to define the
eight most common specific usages, but it can cause difficulties in
interpreting instances that don't fit precisely into one of the eight.

I prefer the four-case system as it's easier to learn at first. Also,
it seems more natural, more closely tied to the original concepts.
After all, thought, language, and structure are intertwined.
Ultimately, the four-case system seems versatile as well, as it allows
almost unlimited sub-definitions within the realm of each basic
function, offering more latitude to distinguish specific shades of
meaning.

Ellen Adams
Housewife and Mom
(And glad to be back from New Guinea)