Re: SHMEION TOU UIOU ANQRWPOU

From: WINBROW@aol.com
Date: Tue Sep 12 1995 - 20:40:55 EDT

In my post on Mon. Sept. 11, I had the statement,
>the title Son of Man carried with it from Daniel a note of both suffering
and vindication.<

I am aware that the term was used in the Hebrew Scriptures to refer to man
(Psalms & the prophet in Ezekiel). It was used in the Parables of Enoch in
the sense of a coming, conquering god. In fact Ethelbert Stauffer, Theology
of the NT: A Christo-centric View of History, stated that the title was just
about the most presumptuous title that a person could claim in the first
century BCE. I tend to agree with Hooker in her assessment of Mark's
understanding of it.
Carlton Winbery
Fogleman Prof. NT & Greek
LA College, Pineville, LA
(318) 487-7241 Fax (318) 487-7425 off. or (318) 442-4996 home
Winbrow@aol.com or Winbery@andria.lacollege.edu