PISTIS in Romans 1

From: drmills@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu
Date: Tue Sep 26 1995 - 17:59:41 EDT

In a group that reads Greek together weekly, we recently began reading
Romans. A couple of questions arose that we would like to address to
experts.
1. In 1:12, what is the meaning of THS EN ALLHLOIS PISTEWS? The translations
"the faith among us" or "the mutual faith" seem to lack the reciprocity
usually implied by ALLHLWN. A translation such as "the confidence in one
another" does not retain the usual meaning for PISTIS in the book as a
whole.
2. In 1:17, what is the meaning of EK PISTEWS EIS PISTIN? Does the EK
PISTEWS in the Habakkuk quotation somehow encompass both the former EK
PISTEWS and the EIS PISTIN?

Thanks in advance,
(It looks like Greek to me, an English teacher!)
David R. Mills
drmills@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu
Applied English Center
University of Kansas