ROMANS 4:1-6

From: JClar100@aol.com
Date: Sat Oct 07 1995 - 11:59:29 EDT

Verse 5 --

After all the discussion of "faith OF" and "faith IN" we come now to
"PISTEUONTI DE EPI TON DIKIOUNTA TON ASEBH" (note EPI). Is there a
difference between "believes IN" and "believes ON" (or "believes UPON)?"

                                                      *****

Verse 3 -- EPISTEUSEN DE ABRAAM TW THEW...

Should the translation of this be as some have stated:

(A)" Abraham believed God" or
(B) "Abraham believed in God"?

Some would object that translating as B would put the emphasis on faith
rather than God, but that the translation as in A would carry with it the
emphasis that there can be no doubt that God spoke to Abraham and he
responsed. B would then be incorrect.

Question: Is there any difference between "believing" and "believing in?"
I'm interested in this question from the standpoint of construction rather
than theological creativity, although I realize I can't even raise the
question without being theological.

                                                   *******

Verse 5: Is LOGIZETAI deponent? Should it be translated as passive or does
it make any difference? Is there a Greek construction in which the
"present" can actually be taken as "past," other than the "historical
present" which I remember being used a great deal in the Gospel of John.

                                                  ******

Thanks,

JClar100@aol.com
James Clardy