Re: Romans 3:19-20

From: BibAnsMan@aol.com
Date: Thu Oct 12 1995 - 20:51:33 EDT

On the subject of anarthrous names...

In the discussion of John 1:1c, the point was made that the first mention of
a noun may at times have the article while successive uses can occur without
the article, but the same person is meant.

Just a note: QEOS occurs frequently in the Epistles without the article. The
same is true for PNEUMA and XRISTOS while referring to the Spirit and Jesus
Christ.

In Robertson's big grammar, he also states that if the article had been on
both sides of the copulative clause, it would have Sabellianism (p. 768).

Thanks to Bruce Terry for his comments. I found them enriching in my Greek
study.

Jim McGuire