Philip Graber on aspect and translation

From: Edward Hobbs (EHOBBS@wellesley.edu)
Date: Mon Oct 16 1995 - 18:01:01 EDT

Just after I sent off my post re: Litwak's questions on Mark, I received
Philip Graber's reply to him on aspect. My reason for posting is simply to
second everything he said (a needless thing to do, I know), and also
to underscore a major point he made. UNDERSTANDING A SENTENCE/PASSAGE
IN GREEK IS NOT THE SAME AS TRANSLATING IT. UNDERSTANDING AND TRANSLATING
INTO ANOTHER LANGUAGE ARE DISTINCT FROM EACH OTHER.

For quite a few years I did not permit students to translate the Greek into
English, unless they gave two alternative translations, both of which they
could support. Languages aren't one-to-one with each other in much of
anything, not in vocabulary, syntax, or whatever.

Thank you Philip, for pressing this important point.

Edward Hobbs