Re: New Testament Hymns & Greek Hymns

From: Nichael Cramer (nichael@sover.net)
Date: Fri Oct 27 1995 - 15:40:17 EDT

On 27 Oct 1995, Calvin D. Redmond wrote:
> I'm doing some research involving the New Testament "hymns" (John 1:1-14, Col.
> 1:15-20, Phil. 2, etc) [...]

A related question that I've been wondering about for some time:

Although many authors on the topic (e.g. Brown) discuss the hymn at the
beginning of the fourth Gospel at great length, the question typically
remains open as to the hymn was original to the author of the fourth
Gospel, or was he simply quoting (or perhaps recasting) an existing work
known to his audience? Is there any general consensus on this question?
(The question also holds for the other passges Calvin cites.)

Clearly a definitive answer is not really possible, but at the moment I'm
just fishing for pointers on this topic.

Thanks
Nichael Cramer
nichael@sover.net