help

From: Paul Watkins (102737.1761@compuserve.com)
Date: Sun Oct 29 1995 - 16:14:41 EST

In 2 Peter 2:9, the KJV says,

"The Lod knoweth how to deliver the godly outof temptations, and to reserve the
unjust unto the day of judgment to be punished:"

My question is regarding the phrase "to be punished." Should this
be thus translated, or should it be ", being punished"? The difference
is huge because the KJV teaches that they are reserved to judgment for
punishment (which is true, but may not be what the text is saying) but
most literal translations I've read say that they are being punished now,
will they are being "kept" or reserved for that day. Basically
how does one deal with "kolazomenous"? To be punished or being punished?

Thank you in advance, and please respond as I am not subscribed to the
list right now.

Paul Watkins
Grace College and Seminary