Re: John 21:15-17

From: Eric Vaughan (jevaughan@sauaca.saumag.edu)
Date: Mon Nov 13 1995 - 15:12:08 EST

  The way I've always understood the difference between AGAPAW and FILEW is that AGAPEW indicates an
active love which is expressed by the deeds done toward the subject of this love and not necessarily
a strong emotion (God so loved (AGAPE) the world... Jno 3:16). FILEW is a more emotional affection
felt toward someone. I may have been misinformed about this, but Aristotle does make a distinction
between the two in Rhetoric. He says, "TO DE FILEISQAI AGAPASQAI ESTIN AUTON DI' HAUTON." To be
loved (FILEW) is to be loved (AGAPAW) for one's own sake. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Eric Vaughan