basic foundations

From: Carlton Winbery (winberyc@popalex1.linknet.net)
Date: Tue Nov 28 1995 - 14:21:55 EST

>Daniel wrote:
>
>Would you say that by your efforts in studying
>ancient Greek and the bibical record that your
>faith in the absolute innerancy of the Word of God
>has been increased, decreased or remain the same?
>
>Has your faith in God increased, decreased or
>remained the same?
>
>Would you say that "anyone" who takes an honest
>and thorough approach to the the study the bibilical
>record and ancient greek will be forced to see
>the "divine" hand of God in action, regardless
>of their faith in God?
>
>Your response requested.

Ellen wrote;

>The interesting thing about scripture is that you can either read into
>it or read from it. Like other forms of literature, poetry, allegory,
>philosphy your mindset affects interpretation. This seems more the case
>in scripture than in other types of work, regardless of whether you
>study in your native tongue or the original language.
>
>Moreover, there is the element of mystery. Scripture says that God is
>Spirit, and the the things of God must be spiritually discerned. As
>much as the scholars on this list pride themselves on being academic
>and impartial, each must admit that he/she either views scriptures by
>faith, as an "insider", or critically as an "outsider".
>
>The further an "insider" studies, the more rewarding the endeavor.
>Apparant inconsistencies are either resolved, or found to be of no
>great importance to the overall picture. To the "outsider" these same
>inconsistencies weigh heavily, as if the very existence of God and His
>order within the Universe rested solely on their own ability to resolve
>a particular issue.
>
>Similarly pride and humility are factors in the understanding of
>scripture. Are we indeed judges of the Word of God, or do we allow
>ouselves to be judged by the Word of God? An "insider" who becomes
>prideful will soon lose his/her ability to properly interpret the
>spiritual nature of scripture, whereas the "outsider" who studies the
>scripture in true humility, I believe, will be endowed with the grace
>to understand both its literal meaning and its intent.
>
>Ellen Adams

Both of these posts disturb me greatly. First, they are outside the
purpose of this list. Second, dichotomies are set up that are false.
>Would you say that >faith in the absolute innerancy of the Word of God
>has been increased, decreased or remain the same?< My recollections of
>the earliest days my faith were the result of my mother reading to me from
>her KJV. Then I trusted in the living Lord. As far as I know my faith
>has never been in an "inerrant text" because I've never seen one. I have
>experienced the presense of the Living Lord. >each must admit that
>he/she either views scriptures by
>faith, as an "insider", or critically as an "outsider".< This is a false
>dichotomy! I think that I view the text of Scripture critically as an
>insider. The word "critical" simply means that I am willing to look at
>evidence in deciding interpretive matters. What makes me an insider is my
>relationship to the living Lord not any particular explanation I might
>give to how God inspired Scripture.

>>The further an "insider" studies, the more rewarding the endeavor.
>Apparant inconsistencies are either resolved, or found to be of no
>great importance to the overall picture. To the "outsider" these same
>inconsistencies weigh heavily, as if the very existence of God and His
>order within the Universe rested solely on their own ability to resolve
>a particular issue.<

The use of "apparent inconsistencies" is interesting. Do you hope they
will go away? They won't. They are there in the text. I didn't put them
there tho many seem to blame me when I point them out. They are not
"apparent," they are there in black and white, a part of the text that has
to be dealt with if we are honest. Stephen said that Abraham left Haran
"after his father died." Genesis 11 and 12 clearly indicate that he lived
another 65 years. Both cannot be inerrant. Either God of Satan tempted
Moses to number the people. The centurion either sent Jewish emissaries to
Jesus (Luke) or he came himself. Both can't be inerrant. We have to deal
with the text as we have it. My faith in the Living Lord has continually
grown thru/out my pilgrimage and such matters will never shake my faith in
him, but they will lead me to continue to revise the Scriptures as light
comes.

Carlton Winbery
Prof. Religion
LA College,