re: objective and subjective genitive

From: Calvin David Redmond (credmond@usa.pipeline.com)
Date: Wed Dec 06 1995 - 10:35:23 EST

Richard Lindeman wrote,

>BTW. I saw an excellent example on the news the other day that
>I wanted to share concerning the objective and subjective >genitive:

>The football coach had a very bad day. His team played terribly >and
>they lost the game. When the news announcer asked him, "So,
>what do you think of the execution of your team today?" he
>quiped back, "I'm all for it!"

>It seems to me that objective and subjective are not so much
>case uses as they are merely a reflection of the ambiguity of
>language.

I enjoyed your illustration! As to your last point, are not case uses our
attempts to organize and systematize some of the ambiguities of language?
It does help, I think, to be aware of such patterns.

Concerning Rich's posting on women, while I respectfully disagree, I think
we're all ready to try to move back closer to grammar after our excursus.

Cal Redmond
The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary