Re: English grammar help

From: Mike Adams (mikadams@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Thu Dec 14 1995 - 10:59:49 EST

You wrote:

>I beg the indulgence of list members for a question of English grammar.
>Which is correct (grammatically):
>
>A: The Son of Man is the Messiah whom Jesus claims to be.
> ^^^^
>B: The Son of Man is the Messiah who Jesus claims to be.
> ^^^
>Analogously:
>
>A: Jesus claims to be him.
> ^^^
>B; Jesus claims to be he.
> ^^
>
>We would say:
> He thought himself to be the Messiah (objective case).
> ^^^^^^^
>...but this is different, is it not, because there is no direct
>object in my examples. I'm sure I could have figured this out
>when I was in seventh grade, but now I find myself at a loss.
>If pressed: I vote for the nominative.
>
>I suppose an off-list reply would be more appropriate.
>James D. Ernest Joint Doctoral Program
>Manchester, New Hampshire, USA Andover-Newton/Boston College
>Internet: ernest@mv.mv.com Chestnut Hill, Massachusetts

Concerning who vs. whom, I agree with you and Carl. It is the nominative.
The -to be- can be a bit deceptive, appearing to be a prepositional
phrase which would take the objective, but rather being an infinitive
verb phrase with a linking verb that takes the predicate nominative.

In Hebrews 5:5 we see a linking verb as an infinitive taking the
nominative case:

  ouc heaton edoxasen genhqhnai arcierea....

Also -himself- is not objective, but rather a reflexive pronoun.

I hope this explanation is sufficient for you and I.

Ellen