Re: Chronology in John

From: Fritz Rusch (rusch@inst.augie.edu)
Date: Tue Dec 19 1995 - 13:16:28 EST

since my daughter just flew through St Louis on her way up to Sioux Falls
from Texas, i'm happy she didn't get stuck there last night. I recall
some heavy snows in St Louis about 35 years ago when I was a student at
Concordia Seminary.

casual note - i too doubt the double cleansing of the temple. I also agree
that the event is part of an overarching sequence in the Gospel. The
three references to Passover in John's gospel sequentially are Jn 2 - temple
cleansing Jn 6 - feeding of the 5000 which turns into the bread of life
discourse often seen as eucharistic and then Jn 12ff - the last week of
Jesus' life. It's as if this writer has over laid the "Holy Week" events
of the Synoptics on the whole ministry of Jesus so that what is the climax
of the Synoptics is the framework for the Fourth Gospel. It links with the
motif of pending "glory" and "an hour not yet".

I have never understood why John's gospel should be sought as the historical
base since it so clearly interweaves symbolic elements as I suspect you
know better than I.

just thought i'd say "hi" and "Merry Christmas" - I've enjoyed your postings
although i've usually not had time to participate.

peace -
 fritz rusch