Re: Chrism, Baptism ...

From: Roger Andersson ST/BE (etxroan@flipper.ericsson.se)
Date: Fri Dec 29 1995 - 02:20:47 EST

Sorry, but I don't understand where you got 'oil' from?!
While oil was used many times when anointing someone, as
mentioned in the Bible, it wasn't always the case. (All the
instances from the Bible that I can remember off hand, were
anointing someone as a king.) Both Moses and (the pagan) Cyrus
are called 'God's anointed', while there's no record of any
literal anointing of them by any representative from God. And,
as you've noted, not in the case of Jesus, either. He was
anointed with holy spirit. The water used at his baptism,
wasn't used used as --or instead of-- oil, it was strictly
speaking not connected at all (the actual baptism and the
actual anointment) while they happened next to each other in
time.
Regards, Mikael!