Translating sin

From: Indepen (adc8@columbia.edu)
Date: Thu Jan 04 1996 - 23:18:49 EST

Thanks to Carl C. and Carlton W. for some more terms to reflect on.

A second aspect of the problem I'm trying to get at has to do with the way
literary texts, homilies or public speeches use verbal allusion. Part of
the meaning of a word in these contexts has to do with the history of its
use in the reference texts of a given body. The relationship of Aramaic
and Hebrew is close, with cognates easily recognized. Therefore, Jesus,
when preaching, would be able to use any number of terms related to key
words from Hebrew scripture. To make up a contemporary example, suppose I
said, "Ask not what your country can do for you, ask why it isn't going to
do it," everyone would immediately recognize a variation on the reference
text alluded to, which controls the statement's meaning.
        Without Jesus' speech in Aramaic, without those key linguistic markers,
our ability to connect his words with earlier ones in Torah is cripplingly
curtailed--really only reduced to guesswork. And without a sense of the
allusions he was making, can we assert that we have grasped all the
meaning intended?
        Given that the early apostles' missionary efforts were directed
mainly at the Gentiles, it was inevitable that Greek would be adopted as
the language for texts relative to the new Way. Even so, adopting that
language was the first remove from the historical Jesus (whom I do not
myself believe to have been grecophone), the first attrition wrought
on what he actually said. Of course, we may speculate as well why he chose
not to write down anything; but any such speculation would take us into
the realm of theology, which, according to the parameters of this
discussion group would be hUPERBANEIN. Equally speculative and
theological would be a discussion of Pentecost and the descent of Holy
Spirit as a solution to the Babel of tongues. If it worked for speech, is
there a way for it to work in understanding ancient texts--or, for that
matter, resolving the clash of viewpoints on the 'Net?.

XARIS KAI EIRHNH

        A.D.C.