Re: 1 Pet. 2:5

From: James H. Vellenga (jhv0@viewlogic.com)
Date: Fri Feb 02 1996 - 08:22:35 EST

> 1 Pet. 2:5 has KAI\ AU0TOI\ W(S LI/QOI ZW=NTES OI0KODOMEI=SQE OI)=KOS
> PNEUMATIKO\S This is translated in the NIV as "you also, like living
> stones, are being built into a spiritual house", NRSV has "like living
> stones, let yourselves be built into a spiritual house". Similar
> translations are found in the RSV, KJV, and JB. Any discussion of this
> construction in several commentaries centers on the verb, passive vs.
> imperative sense.
>
> My problem, however, is "spiritual house" is in the NOMINATIVE! Each of the
> versions translates as though it were an accusative. So far, in an initial
> search of five commentaries and several grammars there has been NO
> discussion or explanation of the grammar. LSJ does not record any instances
> of OI0KODOMEI=SQE being used like a copulative.
>
> Would the grammar not result in a translation like, "you yourselves like
> living stones, a spiritual house, are being built into a holy priesthood" ???
> Am I blinded to something? Comments appreciated.
I'm interested in this too -- as very much an amateur translator, I tried
"keep having yourselves also be built like living stones, [as] a spiritual
house, into a sacred priesthood for ..."

Regards,

James H. Vellenga | jvellenga@viewlogic.com
Viewlogic Systems, Inc. __|__ 508-480-0881
293 Boston Post Road West | FAX: 508-480-0882
Marlboro, MA 01752-4615 |