Re: Summary: Something from Nothing (longish)

From: James H. Vellenga (jhv0@viewlogic.com)
Date: Wed Feb 21 1996 - 11:51:16 EST

> From cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu Wed Feb 21 11:29:55 1996
> Date: Wed, 21 Feb 1996 10:29:53 -0600
> To: jhv0@viewlogic.com (James H. Vellenga)
> From: cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu (Carl W. Conrad)
> Subject: Re: Summary: Something from Nothing (longish)
>
> On 2/21/96, James H. Vellenga wrote:
>
> > > From cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu Wed Feb 21 09:01:24 1996

> I guess I was less than clear as well: there is no discernible distinction
> in meaning between the two.

So if

a) we assume that OUDEN means "no-thing" rather than nothing, then

b) Paul really is saying "I gain no tangible benefits."

But if he's saying he gains no tangible benefits by giving up both property
and body without doing it with love, this seems a little strange --
since he seems to be covering the whole gamut of tangible benefits.
That is, even if he did do it with love, he would wind up only with
intangible benefits -- i.e., "no-thing" in any case.
In other words, under assumption a), this statement doesn't seem to
make sense to me.

Does this reflect back on whether Paul actually uses OUDEN to mean
"no-thing" as opposed to "nothing"?

Regards,
Jim V.

James H. Vellenga | jvellenga@viewlogic.com
Viewlogic Systems, Inc. __|__ 508-480-0881
293 Boston Post Road West | FAX: 508-480-0882
Marlboro, MA 01752-4615 |
http://www.viewlogic.com