Re: QEMELIOS/-ON

From: Carlton L. Winbery (winberyc@popalex1.linknet.net)
Date: Mon Mar 04 1996 - 05:34:23 EST

Dale Wheeler wrote;
>According to BAGD the only clear use of QEMELION (the neuter noun) is Acts
>16:26. There are however several formally ambiguous uses (Luke 6:48; 49;
>14:29; Rom 15:20; 1Cor 3:10, 11, 12; Eph 2:20; 1Tim 6:19; Heb 6:1).
>
>Any suggestions on how to decide between the two (or if that's even
>possible)?? I have my own theory, but I don't want to prejudice the
>discussion at the outset... :-)

QEMELIOS/ON is really an adjective of the 2nd declension. When it is used
as a substantive in the acc sing. without the article or in the dative,
there is no way to be sure if it is masculine or neuter. It is used both
ways for the foundation of a building. A more interesting question is to
what does it refer in Ephesians 2:20 EPI TWi QEMELIWi TWN APOSTOLWN? Could
TWN APOSTOLWN be a genitive of identity (apposition to some)?

Carlton L. Winbery
Prof. Religion
LA College, Pineville, La
winberyc@popalex1.linknet.net