Re: poor or beggar

From: James H. Vellenga (jhv0@viewlogic.com)
Date: Mon Apr 22 1996 - 09:48:10 EDT

Carl W. Conrad responds:

> And now, as I think on screen, another purely speculative ramification of
> Gal 2:10 teases my mind: IF "PTWCOI" should be a designation for the
> missionaries sent to evangelize in accordance with the Missionary Discourse
> parallels in the Synoptic Gospels, which have at least occasionally been
> thought to be post-Easter regulations for missionary work in the primitive
> community, then perhaps the "collection" that Paul conscientiously sought
> from his Gentile congregations was never intended to relieve poverty in the
> Jerusalem church but rather to promote its missionary activities? What
> think ye about that?

Ook! It certainly seems like a logical consequence if PTWCOI does refer
to the itinerant friars.

But I think we can rule that out from other statements in Paul's letters
regarding the collection. E.g., 2 Cor 8.10-11 NIV: "At the present time
your plenty will supply what they need, so that in turn their plenty will
supply what you need." While the latter clause could refer to other
than material provision, I suspect that "At the present time" indicates
a temporary condition. (But I don't have the Greek text here with me.)

Regards,
j.v.

James H. Vellenga | jvellenga@viewlogic.com
Viewlogic Systems, Inc. __|__ 508-480-0881
293 Boston Post Road West | FAX: 508-480-0882
Marlboro, MA 01752-4615 |
http://www.viewlogic.com