The Holy Spirit in the Church's early history

From: Mr. Timothy T. Dickens (MDick39708@gnn.com)
Date: Sun Apr 28 1996 - 22:29:48 EDT

To the recipients of b-Greek:

The purpose of my message has to do with the understanding of the
Holy Spirit in the history of the church during the first four
centuries. I am specifically looking for information that
illustrates how certain individuals or groups of the church
understood the PARACLETE or COMFORTER differently than how the
PARACLETE is described in the gospel of John chapters 14-16.

The only place thus far I have been able to find is in Eusebius’
church history, Book V sec., XIV

        Of these some poisonous reptiles crawled over Asia and
        Phyrgia, and boasted that Montanus was the PARACLETE
        (emphasis mine) and that the women of his sect, Priscilla and
        Maximilla, were the prophetesses of Montanus.

As to other discussions as such in Eusebius or other ancient
sources, I am not aware of them; thus I am asking the help from the
pool of biblical scholars who can, at least, point me in the right
direction to find an answer.

Sincerely yours
Tim Dickens
Smyrna GA 30080