(AIRESIS, Acts 28:22

From: Kenneth Litwak (kenneth@sybase.com)
Date: Mon May 13 1996 - 13:02:40 EDT

   According to Bauer, (AIRESIS has several meaning, which range from
sect/party/doctrine
heretical sect
dissension
opinion, dogma
I'm working on a paper dealing with the end of Acts and the meaning I take for
(AIRESIS could be very significant in my argument. Bauer says it means
"heretical sect" but I think that's just another gloss. So I'm looking for
opinions as to how to decide how the Jews in Rome, might have interpreted
"the Way" around 62 AD, as whatever rhetorical function this piece of Acts
performs (and my whole paper is arguing for a particular function within the
larger narrative), I'm satisfed that Luke is doing historiography and he means for
us to view this as a real event. So I'm not interested in how Jews might have
viewed it in the 80's to the 150's (depending upon whom one reads for the date of
Acts). Thanks.

Ken Litwak
GTU
Berserkely, CA