Off the Subject

From: Wagers, Will (wagers@iglobal.net)
Date: Sat Jun 01 1996 - 05:57:23 EDT

Dear List Members,

I don't wish to start a thread with this, so please don't.

But, we discussed some weeks ago how to calculate intervals from BCE to CE.
If anyone is interested, there is now in the ANE archives a HUGE correspondence
on a thread called something like "BC/BCE" in which people give their methods
of calculating an interval spanning the (real or virtual) date zero.

There are FOUR methods - not counting simply incorrect ones with no rationale
(however bizarre) - requiring one to subtract 0, 1, 2, or 3 years from the
raw difference of dates, depending on one's assumptions.

What started it was a quote from Stephen Jay Gould saying that from 1.5 BCE to
1.5 CE = 1 year !

FYI,

Will wagers@iglobal.net Reality is the best metaphor.

http://www.iglobal.net/pub/wagers/ousia/Egyptologist.Shtml