Re: 1 Tim 2:15

From: Micheal Palmer (bla00161@mail.wvnet.edu)
Date: Tue Jul 23 1996 - 02:46:12 EDT

At 2:10 PM 7/23/96 -0400, KULIKOVSKY, Andrew wrote:

[SNIP]...

>Carlton,

[SNIP]...

>I don't know how you came to the conclusion that Paul was not the
>writer...
>For a start, the introduction states it was Paul (and incidentally, in
>virtually
>the same format as Romans and Galations). The close relationship
>between Paul and Timothy is alluded to throughout the NT
>(eg. Acts 20:4, Romans 16:21, 1 Corinthians 4:17,
>2 Corinthians 1:1, Philipians 1:1, 2:22, Colossians 1:1,
>1 Thess. 1:1, 3:2)
>
>Surely, Paul was writing to his beloved disciple, co-worker
>and friend.

Carlton's conclusion that Paul did not write the letter is not unusual. It
is shared by a large majority of critical biblical scholars. The vocabulary
of the letter has significant differences from the letters known to be by
Paul. The structure of church organization assumed in the letter seems more
formalized than in Paul's time, etc. Of course, none of these arguments are
%100 conclusive, but they do carry a good bit of weight for many people.

Micheal Palmer

Micheal W. Palmer