Re: 1 Tim 2:15

From: KULIKOVSKY, Andrew (AKULIKOV@baea.com.au)
Date: Tue Jul 23 1996 - 14:10:43 EDT

Carlton L. Winbery Writes:

<<Outside of its context (which, quite frankly, is itself not
exceptionally
helpful toward the interpretation of the verse), this translation cannot
be
faulted, I think, as a reading of the possible meaning of the Greek text.
In fact, although we do find DIA + genitive to express instrumentality,
an
instrumental dative would (from my admittedly Attic perspective) be
preferable by far; and, in view of the fact that ancient childbirth is by
no means without risk of life (Euripides' Medea, remember, says she'd
rather face the foe with a spear on the battlefield three times to giving
birth once!), and given the fact that, outside of the theological sphere,
SWZEIN most normally DOES mean "bring safely," "preserve through peril,"
"keep intact" (as in the parable of the wine and wineskins; I tend to
think
of getting safely through a semester!), the first clause of Moffat's
translation seems very natural.<<<<<

I have generally agreed with Moffatt at this verse (and most others as
well). I find that very few theologians can lay aside their theology and
translate this verse. Keep in mind that the writer here is most likely
not
the same person who wrote Romans and Galatians, but a later writer who is
moving away from the Pauline concepts toward more settled concepts of the
church as a part of the world for some time to come. It is now
considered
more important for women to "get married, rear children" etc. The
stability of the church as an institution is now becoming very important
(Compare I Cor. 7 "stay single unless you cannot live as I do and also
"the
time is short").>>

Carlton,

On the issue of context, surely it is a key factor in interpretation. In
this case
the assurance of getting safely through childbirth is never even remotely
mentioned in the rest of the book - and quite frankly, it just doesn't
fit here!
The central theme is the roles and responsibilities of men and women in
the
Church.

I don't know how you came to the conclusion that Paul was not the
writer...
For a start, the introduction states it was Paul (and incidentally, in
virtually
the same format as Romans and Galations). The close relationship
between Paul and Timothy is alluded to throughout the NT
(eg. Acts 20:4, Romans 16:21, 1 Corinthians 4:17,
2 Corinthians 1:1, Philipians 1:1, 2:22, Colossians 1:1,
1 Thess. 1:1, 3:2)

Surely, Paul was writing to his beloved disciple, co-worker
and friend.

cheers,
Andrew