Eupolemus on Solomon's Temple Construction

From: Kevin and Sandi Anderson (crossroads@sprynet.com)
Date: Thu Apr 17 1997 - 21:04:14 EDT

I have been reading fragments of Eupolemus found in Eusebius' _Praeparatio
Evangelica_, and I was wondering if someone can explain one sentence in
which Solomon's construction of the temple walls is described. Actually,
this is not so much a Greek question as an architectual one; but I did not
know of any other forum in which I could pose this question. The Greek of
this sentence (which is typical of Eupolemus) is easy enough:

OIKODOMEIN DE ENALLAX DOMON LIQINON KAI ENDESMON KUPARISSINON, PELEKINOIS
CHALKOIS TALANTIAIOIS KATALAMBANONTA{S} TOUS DUO DOMOUS.

"Now he constructed alternately a stone layer and a cypress bonding,
joining the two layers with bronze dovetails (tenons?) each weighing a
talent" (Eupolemus cited by Eusebius in _P. E._, 9.34.5).

Is someone able to describe what is going on here in such a way that this
building technique can be visualized? Is there any schematic or photo that
pictures this joining of wood and stone?

Kevin L. Anderson
Ph.D. student
Graduate Theological Union