Re: Logic biblical?

From: WFWarren@aol.com
Date: Fri Jun 06 1997 - 12:31:54 EDT

Carl, while I agree with most of your post and the intent very much so, I
wonder if we are looking at this from too much of a cultural viewpoint. From
a cultural anthropological viewpoint, all cultures have a need and have
obtained a certain level of "logical" consistency in the inter-workings of
the various components of the culture. In that sense, to speak of any
culture as having a monopoly on "logic" would be "illogical". :) On the
other hand, the Western heritage of Greek philosophy with its specific focus
on "logic" is obviously not to be identified with the "logic" of other
cultures nor the internal consistency of those cultures. On this I agree
with you whole-heartedly. To the degree that we speak of the subculture(s)
of Judaism and of early Christianity, major differences in the concepts of
what constitutes "logic" exist.

I'm not sure if this post would help on-list, however, so I'll send it to you
personally in order not to stir up a hornets nest of reactions.

Bill Warren
Professor of New Testament and Greek