Re: ANQRWPOS in Jn2:25-3:1

From: Jonathan Robie (jwrobie@mindspring.com)
Date: Thu Jun 26 1997 - 13:10:12 EDT

At 12:19 PM 6/26/97 EDT, Paul S. Dixon wrote:

> On the other hand, are there any examples of ANQRWPOS
> referring to only a woman? Hmm. If not, then why not? Is it
> possible that women were (are) viewed as ANQRWPOI only
> through their male leadership? That, then, would amply explain
> the use of ANQRWPOI and would in no way demean
> womanhood.

I think you are asking too much of a grammatical argument here, Paul. After
all, in the day of Mary, Queen of Scots, the English language used "men" to
refer to groups of men and women, "men" to refer to groups of men, and "man"
or "men" to refer to mankind, but a queen could rule the country without
male leadership above her.

> Is it possible that women were (are) viewed as ANQRWPOI only
> through their male leadership?

Doesn't ANQROPOI in this sense mean the same as "humans"? What kind of
leadership do males need if they are to be humans? Where is the biblical
support for this principle? I really think this kind of speculation based on
the gender of nouns is fairly ridiculous in light of the arbitrary nature of
Greek gender. Since hH ALHQEIA is feminine, does this mean that men have
access to truth only through their relationships with women?

Jonathan

Jonathan Robie jwrobie@mindspring.com http://www.mindspring.com/~jwrobie
POET Software, 3207 Gibson Road, Durham, N.C., 27703 http://www.poet.com