EPH 3:20

From: Brian E. Wilson (brian@twonh.demon.co.uk)
Date: Wed Jul 16 1997 - 04:02:22 EDT

Andrew wrote (snip) -

>Filloi,
>Who does "Now to him" refer to in Eph 3:20? The Greek says:
>TWi DE DUNAMENWi UPER PANTA POIHSAI UPEREKPERISSOU WN OUMEQA H NOOUMEN
>KATA THN DUNAMIN THN ENERGOUMENHN EN hUMIN, AUTWi H DOXA EN TH
>EKKLHSIA....
>My translation: And to Him who is able to do immeasurably more than
>all we ask for or can possibly imagine according to the power at work
>within us, to Him be glory in the church....

According to verse 7 earlier in the same chapter, THN ENERGEIAN THJ
DUNAMEWJ AUTOU is KATA THN DWREAN THJ XARITOJ TOY QEOU. I would
suggest that in verse 20 the word AUTWi therefore refers to God.

Musing on Andrew's typo "Filloi" - for "Filoi" - I found myself
wondering whether the Latin "Filius" and the Greek "Filos" are
etymologically linked? Perhaps the Classicists on the list would like
to comment on this?

Brian E. Wilson