More middles Rom 5:5

From: Trevor M Peterson (spedrson@juno.com)
Date: Sat Sep 27 1997 - 19:33:01 EDT

Carl,

I've got a question regarding the middle/passive voice. If I understand
correctly, you would generally assume middle unless an agent is clearly
identified. Does this apply to intermediate agency? In Rom 5:5, we find
that hH AGAPH TOU QEOU EKKECUTAI EN TAIS KARDIAIS hHMWN DIA PNEUMATOS
hAGIOU. Now, without the last phrase I would assume a middle force:
"the love of God has poured itself out in our hearts." With the
intermediate agency of the Holy Spirit, it seems that we could take it as
either passive or middle. I'm still leaning toward middle, but what
would you do?

Thanks,
Trevor