Adverbial Nominative Participle?

From: clayton stirling bartholomew (c.s.bartholomew@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Fri Dec 12 1997 - 05:27:37 EST

Can a nominative participle function as an adverb? The long participial clause
in Acts 7:36 starting with POIHSAS appears to be adverbially related to
EXHGAGHEN. If this participle had been in the accusative I would have no
problem here but with it in the nominative I was tempted to find some way of
making it appositional to hOUTOS which I think is unlikely. I spent an hour
scanning my grammars for a discussion of the Nominative Participle used
adverbially and didn't find anything that seemed to address this topic.

No doubt there is something quite obvious that I am overlooking here. What is it?

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew
Three Tree Point