Re: final genitive in apposition

From: Revcraigh (Revcraigh@aol.com)
Date: Sat Dec 13 1997 - 12:49:23 EST

Brother Steven,

>Dear all
>Please humour this - I'd appreciate the input of someone
>more rigourous with syntax than myself:
>
>-APEKDEMCOMENOI
> waiting for
>-- THN PAROUSIAN KAI APOCALUPSIN
> the appearing and revealing
>---- TOU MUSTERIOU
> of the mystery
>------ THS hAGIHS ELPIDOS KAI PARAKLHSEWS HMWN
> of the holy hope and consolation
>------ IHSOU CRISTOU
> of Jesus Christ
>
>Is the genitive IHSOU CRISTOU is apposition to the mystery,
>the hope, both hope and consolation, or just consolation??
>
>Thanks
>Steven

I take IHSOU CRISTOU to be a genitive of cause or source, namely of THS hAGIHS
ELPIDOS KAI PARAKLHSEWS which I would take as genitives of aposition
explaining TOU MUSTERIOU, and HMWN I take as modifying both THS hAGITHS hAGIHS
ELPIDOS and PARAKLHSEWS. Thus I would translate this something like "the
mystery which is our holy hope and our consolation which comes from Jesus
Christ (source)" or "which we have in Jesus Christ" or "which Jesus Christ
gives (cause)"

God Bless,
Rev. Craig R. Harmon.