Re: Luke 2:14

From: Paul S. Dixon (dixonps@juno.com)
Date: Sat Dec 20 1997 - 01:58:41 EST

On Fri, 19 Dec 1997 06:05:20 -0600 "Carl W. Conrad"
<cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu> writes:
>hAPASI TOIS ANQRWPOIS EUDOKIAS CAIREIN:
>
> DOXA EN hUYISTOIS QEWi
> KAI EPI GHS EIRHNH EN ANQRWPOIS EUDOKIAS.
>
>The problem with this verse and all that it has to say to all of us
>continues to be the meaning of the word and the sense in which the
genitive
>of EUDOKIA is attached to ANQRWPOI. Much as I like the older version
>with EUDOKIA as a nominative ("Peace, good will to men"--in the
non-generic
>sense, of course) and much as I approve of the interpretation that
>makes it: "Peace to people of His good pleasure," I somehow yearn for
the
>simpler sense, "Peace among people of good will," even if that is not
what the
>Lucan text most likely means. I would, in fact, welcome a discussion
>of what exactly EUDOKIA means here.
>
>However, I really wanted to say something more about "peace among
>people of good will" as a conception of community particularly apt as an
ideal
>description of B-Greek and the actualization of which is devoutly to
>be wished. It's the season to "lighten up," to show more than the usual
>measure of "good cheer," to be less defensive and fearful that one's
>e-ox (so often a surly and timid and anxious and dejected beast that it
>could well be identified with A.A. Milne's Eeyore of the Pooh stories)
is
>likely to be gored by one's e-neighbor. It's the season to reckon up the

>blessings that this e-community has brought us all (surely more than we
had the
>right to expect for not making greater efforts ourselves to make it a
>blessing for others) and to open up our hearts anew to whatever the true

>meaning of EUDOKIA may be. Would that be too much to hope for on B-Greek
>at this time of year? I hope not; rather I fervently hope and pray it
may come to
>pass.

Carl:

I had just been thinking it was that time of the year to discuss Lk 2:14,
especially since I am preaching on the Micah 5:1-7, Mt 2:1-6, Lk 2:14
connection on Sunday. Thanks for bringing it up and for your comments.

An argument can certainly be made for the taking the nominative EUDOKIA,
since it would nicely parallel the preceding nominatives DOXH and EIRHNH,
gving:
        glory in the highest to God and
        peace upon the earth, that is,
        good will among men.

I like that. If the last phrase is epexegetical to the second, then it
makes for beautiful parallelism.

Of course, it could be argued, in true catch-22 fashion, that this is the
very reason we should suspect the reading was changed from the somewhat
more difficult or unexpected (?) genitive EUDOKIAS to the more expected
nominative form. Perhaps. The external support, however, does seem
fairly determinative. The peace of Christmas is intended, as per the
angelic saying, for the recipients of God's sovereign good pleasure, the
elect.

I agree heartedly with your wish and prayer for the continued and
improved spirit of good-will on the b-Greek list, as we "pursue peace
with all men and the sanctification." I am thankful for the list. It
has meant a lot to me personally.

Thankfully and joyfully,

Paul Dixon