Re: Bible Works

From: Wes Williams (WesWilliams@usa.net)
Date: Wed Dec 24 1997 - 01:22:34 EST

Theodore H. Mann wrote:

> Listmembers:
>
> I know that several of you must be familiar with Bible Works from
> Hermeneutika. Can you recommend it?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Ted

Ted,

I used to be/ still am a beta-tester for Bibleworks. You might look at
http://www-writing.berkeley.edu/chorus/bible/index.html to get the
general differences between different bible research software packages.
However, the review about Bibleworks is woefully out of date.

I like Bibleworks for raw word searches and words in context with other
words. What I do not care for is the reliance on the AGNT tagging system
(as good as it is claimed to be). For instance, sometimes Friberg tags
words as adjectives that I consider nouns and vice-versa. So, to use for
serious searching, you MUST understand the tagging system and how to
word around/ with it.

To continue, you might follow these instructions to get connected with
the Bibleworks community....

BibleWorks Internet discussion Forum & Web page

BIG FORK, MT - Hermeneutika Computer Bible Research Software announces a
new user-supported, user-maintained Internet mailing list, BWORKS-L.
Users of BibleWorks for Windows now have a forum to discuss the software
with their peers. Newer users can ask more experienced users for tips,
and more experienced users can share search strategies and technical
applications of BibleWorks. All are welcome to participate in the
discussion, users of BibeWorks as well as people who may be interested
in buying BibleWorks. Discussion will cover all commercially-released
versions on all supported operating systems.

Those interested in participating in BWORKS-L must send Internet to the
address in angle brackets: <BWORK-L@blc.odu>. The SUBJECT field of the
message must contain either <subscribe> or <subscribe digest>. Anything
typed in the message field will be ignored. The <subscribe> option will
send all mail sent to the mail server to the user upon reception. The
<subscribe digest> option will collect list mail for the user and send
all the day's messages in one packet. Daily digests will be archived on
the mail server and will be available for downloading to any interested
subscriber. Upon successful receipt of a subscription request, the mail
server will send an acknowledgment notice to the new subscriber along
with the mailing list policy and mail server command list. There is no
fee for participating in BWORKS-L except for normal Internet provider
charges. Any questions about the list may be directed to list owner and
manager Martin Jackson at e-mail address [mjackson@blc.edu].

Hermeneutika welcomes suggestions for improving or refining the current
BibleWorks Program (.EXE) and Databases (Bibles and Reference Works).
The latest program version of BibleWorks, version 3.5.012 is available
free to version 3.0 or 3.2 owners by downloading from our new web page:
[http:.//www.intr.net/bibleworks]. The web page contains both 16-bit
(Windows 3.1) and 32-bit (Windows 95 and/or NT) executable versions of
BibleWorks. (Note: these are programs updates, not stand-alone software
and require a full edition of BibleWorks to run). The web page also
contains a program revision history, as well as contact information for
both the sales office and technical support office.

Sincerely,
Wes Williams