RE: Luke 3:23

From: rmacy@wjaltd.com
Date: Wed Dec 24 1997 - 13:07:53 EST

Fellow Students,

I would like to suggest the elimination of Matthew as Mary's genealogy on the
basis of something other than Greek sentence structure. Matthew 1:11 mentions
the man, Jeconiah. I have understood Jeconiah to be Coniah, the grandson of
Josiah (I may need a little guidance here.). This Coniah was cursed in Jeremiah
22:30, which says:

"Thus says the LORD,
'Write this man down childless,
A man who will not prosper in his days;
For no man of his descendants will prosper
Sitting on the throne of David
Or ruling again in Judah.'"

_If_ this refers to the Jeconiah in Matthew 1:11, it becomes impossible for the
genealogy in Matthew to be that of Mary since the lineage must come through her
to Jesus. I would suggest that it be that of Joseph (since he is the only one
remaining for whom a genealogy would be relevant ;-).

Thank you for the opportunity to share.

Ron Macy
Bible Student
707 Grand Ave.