Re: Luke 1-2

From: Brian E. Wilson (brian@twonh.demon.co.uk)
Date: Wed Dec 31 1997 - 04:09:38 EST

In message , Ruth Ellison <rufus@online.tmx.com.au> writes
>Despite the seasonal appropriateness, the timing of this request is purely
>coincidental. I've been reading Porter on aspect (head hasn't stopped
>spinning yet) and in his section on possible Semitic influences he mentions
>a theory that Luke 1-2 is translation Greek. Could somebody please
>summarise for me what exactly this theory entails, the arguments for and
>against, and some bibliographical pointers (preferably not German <g>)?

There are several theories which are not compatible with each other -

1. that Luke deliberately wrote in Septuagintal style in order to give a
** biblical ** flavour to his writing in Lk 1-2.

2. that Luke translated Hebrew (not Aramaic) sources to produce Lk 1-2.

3. that Luke used documentary sources written in Greek having a Semitic
style, in order to produce Luke 1-2.

Theory 1 is supported by E. P. Sanders and M. Davies in ** Studying the
Synoptic Gospels ** - London, 1989. Also by M. D. Goulder in ** Luke: a
New Paradigm ** - Sheffield, 1995.

Theory 2 is supported by the Jerusalem School of Synoptic Research,
which has been influenced particularly by R. Lindsey, ** A Hebrew
Translation of the Gospel of Mark ** - Second Edition, Jerusalem, 1973.

Theory 3 is supported by W. G. Most in ** Did St Luke Imitate the
Septuagint? ** in JSNT 15 (1982) pages 30-41 which has been reprinted
in ed. C. A. Evans and S. E. Porter ** The Synoptic Gospels - a
Sheffield Reader ** - Sheffield, 1995 - pages 215-226. Support for
this theory is also found in A. R. C., Leaney, ** The Gospel according
to St Luke ** - London, 1958 - pages 20-33.

To summarize ** the arguments for and against ** would take more space
than is available here, I would suggest.

I personally go for Theory 3. I think the article by W. G. Most is one
of the finest ever written on Luke the writer.

I trust Ruth Ellison's head will have stopped spinning after reading

BRIAN E. WILSON