Re: Translation and Linguistics

From: Jonathan Robie (jonathan@texcel.no)
Date: Thu Jan 08 1998 - 10:56:05 EST

At 08:39 AM 1/8/98 -0700, Williams, Wes wrote:
>The recent precision that was brought to bear on noun classification I
>found extremely helpful (generic nouns, mass and count nouns,
>qualitative nouns, abstract nouns, etc.). Can anyone recommend some very
>good resources that assists understanding this area of "applied/
>practical linguistics?"
>
>I found the following resources on the UBS web page
>(www.biblesociety.org) catalog for translators. Are
>these exceptionally good or are there others that are exceptionally
>better so that I do not order them blindly?

I am not well read in linguistics, so I hope someone else gives you a good
answer. There *is* a bibliography of hellenistic Greek linguistics
maintained by Micheal Palmer, who is extremely knowledgable about both
modern linguistics and hellenistic Greeek:

http://home.earthlink.net/~mwpalmer/bibliography.html

I saw only one title that seemed directly relevant:

Pernee, Lucien. "La Relation predicative en grec: Phrase nominale et verbe
etre." In Travaux, III: Les Relations syntaxiques. Aix-en-Provence: Univ.
de Provence, 1985.

Judging from the title, this seems to be about predicate nominative phrases.

Jonathan

jonathan@texcel.no
Texcel Research
http://www.texcel.no