Re: 1 P 3:20; APEIQHSASIN; Adj or adv?

From: Edward Hobbs (EHOBBS@WELLESLEY.EDU)
Date: Fri Jan 16 1998 - 17:41:20 EST

Carl,

GOOD for you!

(The hermeneutical principle is: We must believe all things in Scripture,
in the Canon; if this text says something we do NOT believe, it must be
interpreted in some unusual way, so as not to threaten our belief-system.)

"Highly suspect indeed, with the added difficulty that this text is itself
scriptural and on the basis of its possible interpretation may posit a
teaching of a post-resurrection preaching to the departed. This gets into
hermeneutics, which is not an appropriate subject for discussion here. I
note only that this text, with all the problems it involves, IS part of
the canon."

Hurrah!

Edward