Re: Multiple Simultaneous Functions (long winded)

From: clayton stirling bartholomew (c.s.bartholomew@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Sun Jan 18 1998 - 15:04:39 EST

Philip L. Graber wrote:

> A lot depends on what you mean by "Multiple Simultaneous Functions" and
> "the same level of analysis."

One rather imperfect way of listing the levels of analysis is:

lexical analysis
morphological analysis
syntactical functional analysis
{some higher levels follow }

When a participle functions adverbially with reference to the main verb in the
clause and simultaneously functions adjectivally with reference to a
substantive then it is performing Multiple Simultaneous Functions at the same
level of analysis (i.e., syntactical function).

> {SNIP}
> Subject, Actor, and Theme are three different kinds of functions;
> nevertheless they occur at the same level of analysis (the clause).

Subject, Actor and Theme may be at the same level of analysis (your levels are
different than mine) but they are not at the level of analysis I am currently
concerned with which includes functions like attribution, adverbial limitation
and the like. What I am disturbed about is the notion that a single instance
of a word or phrase can be functioning adverbially in one direction and
adjectivally in another direction. This possibility seems to open up other
possibilities which are threatening to my rather simple minded way of looking
at the world of syntax structure.

On further analysis I have tentatively concluded that a finite verb taking
three arguments, in the nominative, accusative and dative cases is *not*
really performing multiple syntactical functions. I do not think it is in the
same class of phenomena as the circumstantial participle. Why not? Because
taking three arguments is the nature of the verbal function. It is like a
conjunction taking two clauses as arguments. That is what a conjunction is
supposed to do. It is a single function. I cannot find a way of resolving the
case of the circumstantial participle into a single function. I do believe
however that Carl would disagree with me on this. I think that he would say
that circumstantial participle has a single function that includes two aspects
one adjectival and one adverbial.

This is not just nit picking about words. If you open up the possibility that
clause elements can have multiple simultaneous functions then you will no
longer be able to asked the simple question "what function does this clause
element serve in this context. You will be forced to ask what functionS does
this does this clause element serve in this context. This will make a big
difference in the way you do your analysis.
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew
Three Tree Point
P.O. Box 255 Seahurst WA 98062