RE: Matthew 28:19

From: Carl William Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Fri Jan 23 1998 - 13:42:03 EST

On Fri, 23 Jan 1998, Stevens, Charles C wrote:

> << I'm one of those old-fashioned people who aren't used to and don't
> really much like the coining of new verbs out of nouns in English when
> there are verbs ready to hand in the language already. >>
>
> Perhaps this could be stated as "I don't fan verbing nouns."? ;->

By far the worst offender in this regard in recent years was General Haig,
the erstwhile Secretary of State and Chief of Staff of Richard Nixon at
the end. After being called on the carpet for doing so by William Safire
in his Sunday NYTimes Magazine column on English usage, Haig did it all
the more, and ultimately published his memoirs under the title, "Caveat
That!"

Carl W. Conrad
(314) 935-4018