Re: Matthew 28:19

From: Edgar M. Krentz (emkrentz@mcs.com)
Date: Fri Jan 23 1998 - 15:56:48 EST

Cindy wrote to Scott as follows:

>From: CWestf5155 <CWestf5155@aol.com>
>To: scottws@stratos.net
>Subject: Re: Matthew 28:19
>Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 14:39:27 EST
>
>Dear Scott,

>> I took the verb "disciple" to mean to affect this
>> intense transformation through specific, detailed instruction, which would
>> include as part of it, the baptism and teaching mentioned by Jesus in the
>> next phrase. Would you agree?
>

>Though this is a little off the subject of your concern (the relationship
>between instruction and baptism), I would like to see the meaning of the verb
>"disciple" expanded beyond "specific, detailed instruction" including baptism
>and teaching. This might be taken as reflecting a modern orientation towards
>truth and faith as proposition alone. I think that the verb disciple equally
>included intense relationship, modelling (imitation) and hands-on experience
>(such as sending out the seventy-two), as I think was included in Carl's
>initial definition.

Cindy is right on target. The two participles. BAPTZONTES and DIDASKONTES,
are adverbial pariticples expressing means:" As you go, make disciples by
baptizing and teaching ...." Teaching in this context is unfolding the
significance of the baptism one has undergone.
--------------------
WHAT FOLLOWS GOES BEYOND THE GREEK LANGUAGE. SKIP ad libitum.

It was in a later period, witness the "Mustagogical Catecheses" of Cyril of
Jerusalem that the cusgom developed of giveing extended catechetical
instruction before baptism with the mysteries (Creed, Lord's Prayer,
eucharistic liturgy, etc.) expounded in the triduum before Easter eve.

For the modern church, at least, that implies the continuing education of
its members--expecially after confirmation, often regarded as graduation
from religious education. PARDON THE GOING BEYOND THE BOUNDARY OF THE
GREEK LANGUAGE.

Edgar Krentz
Professor of New Testament
Lutheran School of Theology at Chicago