MEN OUN

From: clayton stirling bartholomew (c.s.bartholomew@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Wed Jan 07 1998 - 06:47:53 EST

Acts 8:4 has: hOI MEN OUN . . .

Trying to determine the exact force of MEN OUN, I checked Smyth (#2901),
Denniston (p. 470ff), and BAGD (p503.2.e). Smyth and Denniston give quite a
range of meanings for combination MEN OUN, where as BAGD gives "continuation."

In light of the activity of Paul in Acts 8:3 it seems like reading MEN ON as
indicating only "continuation" is rather bland. I wonder if some of the
earlier diversity of meaning has survived into the Koine period. If Luke
wanted to indicate merely continuation why didn't he use DE or KAI? I think
Luke probably intended something a little more lively but I am not sure
exactly what.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew